Medical device manufacturers utilize coatings to enhance various desired properties. Prolonged contact with body tissue and corrosive body fluids, for example, require a coating with enhanced biocompatibility, inertness and bio-stability. Electrical surgical devices can benefit from an insulating coating that can withstand high temperatures and higher energy delivery.
Sundew has been providing cost-effective solutions to medical device manufacturers by taking advantage of the unique properties of ALD-Cap. As a ceramic coating it is inherently inert and stable to temperatures as high 1000 °C, and has been tested to have excellent biocompatibility.
The exceptional barrier properties of ALD-Cap are ideally suitable for the most demanding medical applications. As a comparison, ALD-Cap is more than ×107 less permeable to gas and water vapor than parylene, as well other polymer conformal coatings.
ALD-Cap coatings are flexible and can be deposited on flexible plastic substrates at low temperatures. The superior conformal coverage of atomic layer deposition guarantees they will conform to any substrate form.
Sundew has also developed polymer-based ALD coatings that can provide additional benefits to your design needs. Please contact us for more information.
Advantages and Benefits
- Stable to 1000°C
- Flexible pure ceramic films
- Superior corrosion protection
- Extremely low permeability barrier to gases and fluids
- Superior uniformity (typical <1% over 4”)
- Thin coating (200-500 nm)
- Straightforward masking
- Low temperature deposition (down to 70° C)
- 100% conformal
- High dielectric strength (8-10 MV/cm)
- Atomic level control of film properties
- Seamless Incorporation of nanolaminates